Recent obituaries are amazing tools for finding out about who and where we come from. They’re often the missing link or the best starting point for many successful genealogy searches. With GenealogyBank you can search recent obituaries in our digital archive with ease. You can search online US Obituaries by name, obituaries by state, and more.
Obituaries are often mini-narratives of a person’s life often highlighting or summarizing major happenings between “born on” and “deceased on”. The language in obituaries from “married high school sweethearts” to “fulfilled a lifelong dream of” to “had a passion for service” or “was honored with” tells us what that person was really about and what mattered to them the most. It’s this type of nuanced detail that makes obituaries such a crucial key in so many quests.
With GenealogyBank, you can search obituaries to find out relevant information, including:
- Where an ancestor is likely buried.
- The name of the cemetery and/or funeral home responsible for their burial.
- Major accomplishments in your ancestors’ lives — what schools they attended/graduated from, job/career accomplishments, and mentions of church and community orgs they belonged to, if any.
- Names of towns and neighborhoods they lived in.
- Names of and details about then-surviving relatives and friends.
- Who were/are the descendants?
- And possibly more!
Use GenealogyBank today to search obituaries by name and state!