Search Newspaper Obituaries 1690-Today.
Discover Your Family Story.
Enter Your Ancestors Name Below:
Obituaries added daily!
Search Largest Obituary Archive Online by state, city and title
Why Use Obituaries for Family History Research?
Obituaries are often the missing link or the best starting point for many successful genealogy searches. They are mini-narratives of a person’s life often highlighting major happenings between "born on" and "deceased on". Facts you can learn in obituaries & death notices:
- Name, place and year of birth
- Names of children, where they lived, and their position in the family's birth order
- Names of the towns and how long they lived in each one
- Age of spouse at death and how long ago that was
- Details on the longevity of parents and grandparents
- Name of cemetery, date and place of the funeral and burial
GenealogyBank’s Obituary Collections
Search database includes over 250 million newspaper obituaries and death records covering over 327 years from over 9,000 newspapers. And we’re adding new obituary records daily. Our obituary database is comprised of two collections, recent and historical obituaries.
Historical Obituaries - Ancestor’s Death Records Before 1977
If you’re looking for a relative who died before 1977 search our historical obituary collection with records dating back to 1704.
Recent Obituaries - Newspaper Obituaries Published 1977–Today
Search text-only versions of recent obituaries exactly as they were published in the newspapers.
- Obituaries are added daily and include obituaries for tomorrow’s publications.
- Using the same feed as newspapers, the recent obituary collection allows genealogists to access obituaries as they're published.