Search Obituaries 1690-Today
Find you ancestors' obituaries & discover your family story
Enter Your Ancestor's Name Below:
Obituaries added daily!
Search Largest Obituary Archive Online by state, city and title
Why Search Obituaries for Family History Research?
An obituary search is more than just knowing when your ancestor died. Obituaries are mini-narratives of a person’s life highlighting major happenings between "born on" and "deceased on." Discover how your ancestors lived, loved, and how they were remembered. Most of all, an obituary search is often the missing link or the key starting point for learning more about your family history. Although obituaries published in newspapers cannot replace the official death records, you can learn critical details about your ancestors. Some of the facts you can find in obituaries & death notices:
- Name, place and year of birth
- Names of children, where they lived, and their position in the family's birth order
- Names of the towns and cities of residence and how long they lived in each one
- Age of spouse (husband, wife) at death and how long ago that was
- Details on the longevity of parents and grandparents
- Name of cemetery, date and place of the funeral and burial
GenealogyBank’s Obituary Archives
Our obituary archives include over 250 million newspaper obituaries and death records covering over 327 years from over 9,000 newspapers. And new obituary records are added daily. You can search for obituaries by name, state, city or newspaper publication to narrow your search. Our obituary database is comprised of two collections, recent and historical obituaries.
Helpful Obituary Search Tips:
- Expand your search to include multiple localities and newspapers.
- Obituaries are frequently published in the local newspapers where your deceased ancestor resided or other family members lived.
- Search only by a person's last name.
- If you can’t find an obituary for a recently deceased relative by first and last name, try a broader search by just their last name
What Can a U.S. Obituary Search Tell You About Your Ancestors?
- Obituaries are exactly as published in local, state, and national U.S. newspapers.
- We receive the same "feed" from the newspapers that they send to printing plants.
- Our online obituary archive is updated throughout the day and even includes the obituaries that will appear in tomorrow's newspapers from across the country.