Woodsfield, Ohio, Marriage Records Database Search
Enter your ancestor's name below and we'll search Woodsfield marriage records to help you learn more.
Recent Newspaper Clippings
Woodsfield, Ohio, Marriage Records Database Search
Do you want to uncover a specific branch of your family tree? Woodsfield, Ohio, marriage records are one of the best resources for finding out valuable information about your family.
By looking up Woodsfield, Ohio, marriage records online, you can find out information not only about the bride and groom but about their parents and where they came from.
With GenealogyBank, you can search through more than 330 years of U.S. history with our digitized marriage records. All it takes is the last name of one of your ancestors, and you can begin your search in seconds.
What is the value of searching public marriage records in Woodsfield, Ohio?
- Marriage records often included the names of the couple’s parents.
- Find the maiden names of the female members of your family.
- Discover where the couple would go on to live.
These are just some of the pieces of information you can find out about by looking through our Woodsfield, Ohio, marriage database. You can also conduct a Woodsfield, Ohio, marriage license search to find out even more information.
For valuable genealogical data on your family history, conduct your next search with GenealogyBank today.
Wondering how to look through Woodsfield, Ohio, marriage license records? Here’s how to do it.
How to Search for Woodsfield, Ohio, Marriage Records Online
What do you need to do to perform a marriage records search with GenealogyBank?
All you have to do is enter the last name of your ancestor and click “Search.” Naturally, it’s best practice to refine your results to ensure you haven’t uncovered someone who isn’t related to your family.
Use advanced search techniques to narrow down your search of the public marriage records in Woodsfield, Ohio.
Follow these tips to increase your accuracy when looking for marriage records online with GenealogyBank:
- Step One – Enter the full names of the bride or groom, including first and middle names.
- Step Two – Include keywords. When it comes to Woodsfield, Ohio marriage records, add in information like the town, name of the parents, or the maiden name of the bride.
- Step Three – You can also exclude keywords to avoid unrelated records popping up in your search. Only use this feature if you’re sure that a piece of information doesn’t pertain to your desired ancestor.
- Step Four – If you don’t know exactly when a couple got married, use a year range instead. This will reveal only the records of marriages that occurred during this period. A year range or US Census Records will help you to fill in the gaps.
- Step Five – Change the search order of the results. With GenealogyBank, you can order results by best match (default), oldest, or newest.
For more tips for a successful Woodsfield, Ohio, marriage license search, download the free guide “Tips for Searching Newspapers.”
Tips for a Successful Woodsfield, Ohio, Marriage License Search
Trying to search through 330 years of U.S. history to find a specific ancestor is never easy. Mistakes happened, and high levels of illiteracy meant information may have been taken down incorrectly.
For example, it wasn’t uncommon for people to have been unaware of how to spell their last names, so “Berry” may have been spelled as “Bury” instead. This was especially common when it came to family surnames of foreign origin.
If you’re having trouble finding the right Woodsfield, Ohio, marriage records, use these tips during your search:
- Use the bride’s maiden name to find female ancestors.
- Change the order of first and middle names. Unofficial name changes weren’t illegal and were often done during a person’s adult life.
- Look into church newsletters and bulletins for marriage announcements.
- Military records also served as marriage records, such as pension applications.
Remember, auditing wasn’t common practice in the past, so it wasn’t uncommon for a clerk to orally take down information correctly. Only in recent times have standards for recordkeeping improved.
Whenever you find Woodsfield, Ohio, marriage license records, make sure you double-check them against other records to ensure you have the right person.
The Value of Our Woodsfield, Ohio, Marriage Database
What makes the GenealogyBank marriage database such a powerful research tool for family historians?
Not only do we include 330 years of U.S. history in our database, but we also take records from popular newspapers, rather than just official government records. This can help you to paint a better picture of where you came from and who your ancestors were.
Approximately 95% of our records are unavailable on other similar services.
Our marriage records include important pieces of information that are usually unavailable through official government records. Many public marriage records in Woodsfield, Ohio, also include miniature biographies, which help to explain who the newlyweds are.
Other valuable information that can be extracted from our marriage records include:
- Where the couple intended to live after they were married.
- Which church the marriage took place in.
- Names of the parents.
- Photos. Some records include what may be the only picture of a family member at that age.
As the main means of communication, newspapers are a treasure trove of genealogical information. Uncover your family history by looking through Woodsfield, Ohio, marriage records online now.